- I got the error 'User Access Revoked' when I tried to log in. What does it mean?
- Generally, the "User access revoked' message appears when the password has expired or when a user tries to log on with an incorrect password more than tree times. To regain access, the password must be reset. Send a request for password reset to the PPS Help Desk using the Help Request form on the PPS website.
- I am taking over a coworker’s responsibilities and need their UserID.
- Each PPS UserID is assigned to only one individual. If you need access, complete a new application form which is available from the PPS web site, Forms link. You can specify that you need access similar to the access of your coworker’s but the campus Security Committee has deemed that UserIDs and passwords are not to be shared as changes made to the Employee Data Base are tracked by the UserID that entered them.
- What should I do if I can’t access a screen that I normally can access?
- Access is based on business needs of the department as identified in the PPS/OPTRS Access/Change Application form and the approved department roles structure submitted in the DRS System. Make sure your role on the structure has not been changed, then contact the PPS Help Desk by email or phone at 530-752-7750. Provide the following information:
> Your PPS UserID
> Identify whether you were in the test or production system
> What screen you were accessing when the error happened
> What employee record (employee ID) you were trying to access
- I cannot look at or update one of our department employee’s records?
- You can view any employee’s records within the department(s) that you have access to or for an employee that has one or more distributions funded by the department(s) that you have access to. In order to update an employee’s record, there must be at least one person who is identified as the mandatory reviewer of the update action. If this mandatory reviewer is not identified for your department(s), PPS will not allow you to update the employee’s record. If you believe this is your problem, contact the PPS Administrator by email at email@example.com. Note: you cannot update your own records nor can the person you are updating be the only reviewer for your department.
- If one of our employees is adding a position in another department, how do we grant access to the other department?
Granting access to another department as Alternate Department is only necessary when the employee is active. If the employee has separated, alternate department access is not necessary for that department to hire (or rehire) the employee.
Enter the home department code of the new department in the Alternate Department Code field on the EPER screen, or in the web-based PPS use the Alternate Department Code field in the Employment screen.
- Who makes the correction when an error is found?
The reviewer should notify the preparer as part of the PAN review process, and the preparer makes all corrections. This ensures consistency and allows the preparer to learn from the mistake, as well as maintaining separation of duties.
If an error is found outside the PAN review process, any preparer that has access to the employee record can update or correct the information.
- How do I get more information about PPS?
- Check out the General Info section of the PPS web site. For information on getting access to PPS, see the Access Info section of the PPS website. You can also send inquiries to the PPS Help Desk or call the PPS Help Desk at 530-752-7750.
- What do I do if I update past the ECOM screen (aka PAN Comments screen)?
As soon as possible, send an email to the reviewers who receive the PAN, letting them know that they will be receiving a 'blank' PAN for the employee, and include all the information you would have typed in the Comments screen.
Preparers should also use the web-based PPS access to search for the PAN and add comments.
- I am responsible for reviewing post-authorization notifications (PAN). How do I have PANs forwarded to an email address?
Only backup reviewers receive PANs by email. If you are a mandatory reviewer you receive PANs via the online system. You can forward a PAN received in the online system by opening the PAN, scrolling to the bottom of the screen and typing the full email address for the person you want to send the PAN to, then click the Send button. Reviewers on the list can only receive the PAN once so forwarding to them again will not resend the PAN.
To forward an email PAN simple forward as you would any other email message. DO NOT REPLY to any PAN sent by email, this does not send any information to the preparer.
- Do the PANs on a separation have to be sent to Payroll Services or does the department keep them?
- The original signed copy of the separation IDOC should be sent to Payroll Services; the letter of resignation should be sent to Human Resources. It is recommended that the department keep a copy of the signed separation IDOC for their file. The separation PAN is not required by Payroll Services.
- What paperwork needs to be sent to Human Resources when changing the FAU and Home Dept Code?
There is more than one way to update a funding change and a home dept change. If you are changing both for the same employee, use the SALR bundle which contains the EPER screen (for the home dept code change), EAPP screen (for the funding change) and ETAX screen (in case of tax reporting changes). The SALR bundle will create a PAN notice which is forwarded to the appropriate central office. They will determine and print the necessary documents for their files.
For a funding change only use the EAPP screen; for dept code change only use the EPER screen.
For a funding change you need to print the IDOC "Summary of Change in Status" for dept files. Fund changes produce a PAN notice, so again the central offices can print whatever is necessary for their files.
- General Password Information
Your PPS UserID allows you access to the Payroll/Personnel System using the installed software from your desktop or using the web-based PPS access. Depending on your responsibilities as outlined in your PPS/OPTRS Access Application form, you may have access to the Inquiry, Entry/Update and/or Payroll (OPTRS) screens. Your user code begins with 'DV' identifying you as a UC Davis campus user, followed by 2 or 3-character unit/college identification, and usually your initials.
Your password on this UserID is good for 180 days, and the system will prompt you to change your password before it expires. The system remembers your last few passwords so you will need to create a new password using the following guidelines. In CICS PPS: First, enter your UserID and current password. Tab to the Change Password prompt and type 'Y', press the ENTER key. You will be prompted to enter your new password twice - do so by typing it once on the "Enter your password" line and then use the TAB key to jump to the "Verify your password" line. Retype the new password and then press ENTER. In Online PPS: First, enter your UserID and current password. If a new password is required the Change Password screen will automatically open, or you can select to open from the main menu. Type in your old (current or temporary) password, use the TAB key to jump to the New Password field, and TAB again to Re-enter New Password, then select the Change button.
> MANDATORY: Your password must be 7-8 characters in length
> MANDATORY: Your password must have at least 1 number and 1 letter included
> MANDATORY: Your password must begin with a letter
> MANDATORY: The system keeps track of your past few passwords so your new password must be unique
> MANDATORY: Don't use any special characters ($, #, %, etc.) as this password is also used in the web-based PAN system and you cannot have special characters in that system
- What if I forget my password?
- If you forget your password or let it expire, submit a password reset request using the Help Request form. Please include your PPS userID. You will receive an email with instructions for accessing your temporary password. Login to PPS using your assigned temporary password, then change your password to one that you will use for the next 180 days. Passwords can usually be reset within a few minutes. If you've waited more than half a day for a temporary password please contact the PPS Help Desk at 530-752-7750 to follow up.
- How do I change my password?
In CICS PPS: First, enter your UserID and current password. Tab to the Change Password prompt and type 'Y', press the ENTER key. You will be prompted to enter your new password twice — do so by typing it once on the "Enter your password" line and then use the TAB key to jump to the "Verify your password" line. Retype the new password and then press ENTER.
In Web-based PPS: First, enter your UserID and current password. If a new password is required the Change Password screen will automatically open, or you can select to open from the main menu. Type in your old (current or temporary) password, use the TAB key to jump to the New Password field, and TAB again to Re-enter New Password, then select the Change button.
- What happens when a password is reset?
- The PPS Help Desk resets passwords based on the request of a PPS user on the Help Request form. You will receive an email with instructions for accessing your temporary password. After retrieving the temporary password, login to PPS using your assigned temporary password, then change your password to one that you will use for the next 180 days. Passwords can usually be reset within a few minutes.
- What is the preferred method of printing an IDOC?
Printing is no longer supported from within the Telnet software access (CICS or DOS-based PPS link from desktop), and is recommended only through the web-based access to PPS. Employee Summary Documents (IDOCs) can be printed at any time for any reason as long as you have access to the employee record in PPS.
1. Login to web-based PPS at https://pps.ucop.edu/pp3
2. Select IDOC from Main Menu.
3. Enter employee's last name in the Name field, or ID number in the Employee ID field.
4. An IDOC Menu will provide initial choices for type of IDOC, if your specific transaction is not listed use the Change-in Status selection to see more choices.
5. To return to the previous menu use the Other IDOCs selection.
6. After selecting the type of IDOC, scroll down screen to see a preview of the IDOC, and use the Print IDOC button to print. It will be sent directly to your default printer for the PC you are using, this is not necessarily the printer selected for PPS printing. Document should print immediately, no delay.
7. Print another IDOC for a new employee by using the Select a New Employee button toward the top of the screen and providing employee data. Or, return to the main menu using the Main Menu link at the top of the screen.
- What hardware do I need to run PPS?
- You can use either a PC or Mac to access the PPS screens at Office of the President. This system uses a software package (called TN3270) to communicate with the mainframe computer at Office of the President by making your desktop computer act like an IBM terminal. Minimum requirements for a PC would be a 486 33 MH2 with 16 MB of RAM and a 15" monitor screen. Minimum requirements for a Mac would be a 68040 Processor with 16 MB of RAM and a 15" monitor. Network connectivity is a definite requirement. See PPS System Requirements for more recommendations on hardware.
- What software do I need to run PPS?
You can use either a PC or Mac to access the PPS screens at Office of the President. The minimum requirement for a PC is Windows 3.11 with TCP/IP however Windows 95 or Windows NT with TCP/IP is recommended. Minimum requirements for a Mac would be OS 7.5 with TCP/IP however OS 8.0 with TCP/IP is recommended. Regardless of the desktop computer, PPS uses a software package (called TN3270), it communicates with the mainframe computer at Office of the President by making your desktop computer act like an IBM terminal. The campus has purchased a site license for this software so it is available at no cost to the department from the PPS web site.
To access web-based PPS you'll need Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher, Safari, or Mozilla Firefox.
- What should I do if I get a General Protection Fault?
- Choose ‘close’ in the dialog box after writing down the memory address. Then, restart Windows and try to reproduce the error. GPFs are not uncommon, but if you are having more than one per session, you should contact your Systems Administrator as this is usually a problem on your computer rather than the mainframe at Office of the President.
- What is the Clear key?
- Your default Clear key will depend upon the type of software package you have installed. Some of the software packages and their default Clear keys are listed below:
> Lan WorkPlace TN3270 use PAUSE key
> Queens TN3270 use "+" Key on the numeric keypad
> Queens TN3270 use PAUSE Key or C or CLEAR button
> Browns Telnet use CLEAR button on the keypad
> QWS3270 use F1 on PC
- None of my function keys work.
The PPS software does not require any key mapping in addition to the defaults within the TN3270 software package. The old "text-based" Banner Student Information System (SIS) used a key-mapping package called QuickKeys. If this software is still installed or any other special re-mapping of the function keys, it will affect your ability to use the function keys within PPS.
It's also possible you simply locked the function keys on your keyboard. If you are unable to unlock them please seek assistance from your desktop support team at your department.
- What should I do if PPS is "frozen" or ABENDS?
Occasionally your connection to Office of the President will be interrupted for whatever reason (network problem, power outage, your system goes down, etc) and when you log back into the PPS system, it won’t respond. You may be able to get to the Supersession Menu or you may have a totally blank screen. It is best to close everything down and start fresh.
1. If you can close the Supersession Menu by using the function keys (F12-Exit key, then F3-Exit key), that is best. If you cannot, use the Mouse and click on the 'X' in the upper right hand corner of the PPS screen or click on 'QWS3270t' (upper left corner) and 'close' the session.
2. Log back on to PPS, entering your userID and password at the Entry Validation screen and press the Enter key.
3. If the word "Active" appears under the Status column at the Supersession Menu this means your session is still active from prior to the interruption but it should be closed and started fresh. Type "t" on the line to the left of the sessionID to terminate and press the ENTER key. If you don't see the word "Active", skip to step 5.
4. Press the ENTER key to clear/refresh the menu. The "Active" status should disappear and "Takedown" should be in in its place.
5. Place your cursor to the left of the sessionID CICSPAY3. Press ENTER. Now the PPS Main Menu should come up correctly.
- I can't see my cursor.
- If your cursor is set to "Underscore", you may have trouble seeing it. Pull down the Option menu, choose Session, choose "Cursor" option in the pull-down menu and click on the Radio-button for "Block". Your cursor will now be a block and easier to find on the screen.
- What host do I connect to?
- The name of the UCOP host for the PPS system and when the Supersession main menu is located: UCCMVSB.UCOP.EDU (IP address: 220.127.116.11).
- How can I "clean up" or customize the Supersession Menu?
- The Supersession menu is the main menu for the Office of the President systems. The two entries used by our campus are: test: CICSPP3T UCC CICS TEST production: CICSPAY3 CICS DAVIS PROD. Any other entries can be deleted by typing a ‘D’ in the space at the beginning of each menu selection. After pressing return, a pop-up menu will confirm that you wish to delete that entry. Press return to accept the default of deleting the entry. Note, you may do more than one delete at a time (enter a ‘D’ on multiple entries prior to pressing the return key), but you will be prompted with a delete confirmation for each entry. If you accidentally delete either one of the necessary entries listed above, type ‘L’ to re-add an entry from the Global Session List. For more assistance contact the PPS Help Desk at (530) 752-7750 or use the Help Request form.
- What's the process for obtaining access to entry/update in the production region?
The decision to grant entry/update in the production region is based on the following:
1.Signed PPS/OPTRS Access/Change Application
2. Completion of the mandatory training
3. Completion of applicable practice updates in the test region that demonstrate skills, knowledge and ability (SKA's), a clear understanding of PPS and personnel policies and procedures (P&P)
4. Approval of practice exercises demonstrating SKA by department Mandatory Reviewer; Supervisor submits online form to Request Review of Exercises
5. Approval of practice exercises demonstrating SKA by campus central offices (Payroll, HR, Academic Personnel, etc).
Upon receipt of the request by the PPS Administrator and central office reviewers the transactions completed by the new user are reviewed. If approved, the whole process takes approximately two weeks from request to setup. Users are notified by email once setup is completed.
- What practice is required?
Each trainee is required to practice all the transactions listed on the Required Practice Transactions page of the PPS web site. Because these practice transactions are reviewed for accuracy when a user requests access to update in the production region, it is strongly recommended that each trainee closely follow the transactions guides in CICS PPS Guide or Online PPS Guide to ensure a "successful" practice.
Please note: practices are reviewed to determine the users understanding of policy as it applies to the type of employee and scenario in the exercise. Therefore, it is critical that REAL data and codes be used (i.e. Correct Salary and Title Codes, Duration of Appointment, Next Salary Review Date and Type). The only 'made-up' data would be the employee's personal information (i.e. name, SSN, address).
- What's the best way to practice?
One suggestion for practicing is to hire a new employee and complete all the actions that would impact their personnel program type, following the steps in the transaction section of the PPS Guides.
The dean's office and department reviewers are allowed to set more specific requirements as long as they allow the user to demonstrate their knowledge of policy and procedure.
It is also suggested that practice time be scheduled on your calendar; making it a priority. Practicing in a location where there will be minimal interruptions or distractions is recommended, and guidance from current users in department is preferred.
- What practice transactions are required to demonstrate knowledge of staff policy?
- Refer to the Required Practice Transactions page of the PPS web site for a complete list of transactions (including both staff and academic titles). Instructions are provided in the PPS Guides for each transaction. Staff transactions include the following:
> NEW HIRE
> LEAVE OF ABSENCE
> FUNDING CHANGE
> CASUAL TO CAREER
> RENEWAL OF APPOINTMENT (EXTENDED LIMITED APPT)
If you have any questions regarding this list or any staff transactions, please contact Matt Matuszak at firstname.lastname@example.org, or PPS Help Desk at 530-752-7750 or email@example.com.
- What practice transactions are required to demonstrate knowledge of academic policy (senate/non-senate)?
- Refer to the Required Practice Transactions page of the PPS web site for a complete list of transactions (including both staff and academic transactions). Instructions are provided in the PPS Guides for each transaction. Academic transactions include the following:
> NEW HIRE
> SABBATICAL LEAVE
> EMPLOYMENT IN DIFFERENT SERIES
> ACADEMIC SUMMER SALARY (not required for school of Medicine employees)
> ADDING OFF-SCALE
> CHANGE IN HEALTH SCIENCES (required for School of Medicine employees only)
> EMERITUS STATUS
If you have other academic titles, besides the professorial series, employed in your department, be sure to also practice transactions for those titles (for example: Lecturers, Cooperative Extension Specialists, Professional Researchers). If you have any questions regarding this list or senate/non-senate transactions contact your dean's office.
- How do I know if my practices are correct?
The Mandatory Reviewer at your department is the individual responsible for informing preparers whether their transactions are completed correctly. Mandatory Reviewers should review PANs within two days of receipt and immediately provide information when corrections are necessary. Generally, the Mandatory Reviewer is the individual with the strongest background in policy. Practicing transactions is the perfect time to establish internal processes for reviewing and providing feedback to preparers.
IMPORTANT: Deans' and centralized administrative offices will be reviewing transactions for accuracy and providing feedback after the review is completed by the department reviewer.
- How long, after training, does it take to be granted access to entry/update in the production region?
First, it is important to remember that all members listed on the PPS Departmental Roles Structure must complete formal training and required practice exercises to be considered for entry/update access. A department roles structure that does not have a minimum of 3 individuals with completed training and demonstrated knowledge through practices in the Training Region will not be granted access.
Once exercises are completed and reviewed by the department reviewer, notify the PPS Administrator who will provide instruction to request review by central offices. If the exercises are approved, the whole process takes approximately two weeks from request to setup. Users are notified by email once setup is completed.
- Will PPS training remain centralized?
- Yes, training classes are offered monthly and include a combination of policy, procedure and hands-on lab work. Enrollment is processed through Staff Development & Professional Services. Information about PPS training can be found in the SDPS online course catalog.
- Does team practicing count?
- Working with other new users in PPS encourages discussion about policy, transactions, the system, etc and sometimes makes people feel more comfortable. This is good. However, ALL users requesting entry/update must complete, as INDIVIDUAL users, a wide-range of (correct) transactions under their own PPS userID. This is an essential element to ensure that everyone in the department structure has demonstrated capability.
- How do I sign up for PPS or OPTRS training?
- Training for PPS and OPTRS (online payroll time reporting) is scheduled through Staff Development & Professional Services. You can register online using the SDPS online course catalog. The training is a combination of online classes and instructor-lead classes taught by subject experts from the central offices.
- What classes are required for me to do payroll processing?
- Information about the required classes is located on the PPS website in the Access Information section, at the Required Classes link.
- I have an employee who would like her direct deposit statement mailed to her home address rather than sent to the department. How do I indicate that?
Direct deposit statements are available online through a site called At Your Service Online (AYSO). If an employee wishes to receive a paper copy of their statement, they submit the form Online Earnings Statement Exception Form.
The default paycheck and paper statement delivery address is the employee's home department. If an employee is requesting an alternate department be the delivery location, or delivery to their home address, they will use the designated form for their work location. See information on Payroll website at Check Delivery Address.
- How do I change (increase) the font size on the PPS screens?
- In PPS, go to the Options pull-down menu and click on Session. From the menu on the left, click on Display, click the Select Font button. This should bring up a window where you can change the font, font style and size. If your default font is set to "Fixedsys" it will only allow "Regular" Font Style and size "9". By changing the font to "Courier" or "Courier New", many more sizes and font styles are available. One favorite is: Font=Courier, Font Style=Bold, Size=12. This change is only used while you have the current session of PPS open, once closed your settings revert back to the default settings.